Saturday, August 11, 2007

Country Livin'

Living in a small town is such a pleasure after all those years in Vegas. When I had to renew the plates for both cars, I walked into the county clerk's office. There was no one else there and three people behind the counter, so all three worked on it for me. I'd forgotten to bring the proof of insurance for the one vehicle so they called my insurance agent and had them fax this over. I was in and out in under five minutes.

I ordered materials for a back porch for my daughters mobile home. The building supply place knows where I live so I didn't even give them an address.

We were going into town Wednesday so my wife made out checks for the utility bills and we dropped them in a drop box in front of the post office. Back home later that afternoon she realized she'd forgotten to put stamps on the four envelopes and called the post office. The clerk paid for stamps and put them on the envelopes and my wife paid him back the next day.

Even though my youngest son lives in Indiana they had to buy their marriage license here, because they were going to be married at our place. After a week had passed and they'd not received the license in the mail, he called me. I called the clerks office and was told it had just been returned to them as an incorrect address. The address was correct and totally legible, so I don't know why their post office in Indiana returned it, but they did. Since I was to be in Indiana that week-end I told her I'd just pick it up and deliver it to them. When I walked in her office she picked up the envelope and handed it to me, knowing who I am.

When my brother wanted to build a couple of duplexes, he bought a piece of land and was clearing it getting ready to build. The president of the local bank has a farm adjacent to this land and walked over to the fence to see what was happening. My brother explained what he was doing and asked if he knew where he could get a loan for X amount to build them. The bank president said he would have the papers drawn up and my brother could come in and sign them.

We tend to overtip for service. A lot of people around here do not tip at all, and the ones that do only leave small tips. When we go into a restaurant here we get immediate service and lots of attention. The glasses and cups never go empty and they'll fix things that aren't even on the menu if they have the ingredients. Bag boys at the grocery always get us immediately because they know they'll get a tip when they take out stuff to the car. The station that pumps our gas for us always makes sure we get immediate attention because we'll give them a couple of bucks.

In a small town you're not just another face. People remember you. You've become a "local" so people chat. They show us pictures of their kids or grandkids, tell us the latest gossip, fill us in on things that are coming up in the community, tip you off on the best buys, or the best produce, or services. Yep, I think I'm home.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

I feel exactly the same way you do, Fish. I've lived in so many cities, not by choice but out of necessity before my husband and I retired. It's the country life for me! People wave to each other on the roads in passing, even when they don't know each other. People wave in the city at people they don't know too, but it's usually a nasty sign made with the middle finger!

Living in the country is almost like going back in time.

God bless! :)

BTW: Thanks for that poem "Dusty Old Shoes." I found a picture to go with it and used it for a Sunday Post. It's beautiful!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

After 35 years of living in big cities all I can say is Amen to that.

Your river pics are beautiful.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Gayle, Vegas was the only city we've lived in, but that was enough. Everyone that visits envys my back porch and the woods all around. It's such a peaceful place. I thank God I live in a country where retirement is possible, and I can have these experiences.

Thanks Patrick, that was a couple of fun trips. Now were discussing the idea of taking a couple of days on a longer trip along the river. Lots of it we've not seen yet. Nashville Tennessee is downriver somewhere.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm convicted... never tipped the courtesy clerk.

I've always been told not to do that. But I'm finding religion right here at Ramblins... and from now on those boys/girls are going to get a tip.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, I know a lot of people in the service industry receive pretty low pay, and the tips can make the difference between barely making it and doing all right. Yes, they get paid, but when they do a good job of taking care of my needs, I tip just to show them I appreciate their efforts on my behalf.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's one downside to it, though. When the votes are counted here locally they know that one Republican vote was mine! :-)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

AGT, we're not quite that bad here, but I noticed the book for registered Democrats is much thicker than the one for Republicans in this area. "Grandpa voted a straight Democratic ticket because FDR saved us, so that's good enough for me" seems to be the thinking

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home