Friday, August 03, 2007

Rollin' on the River

My brother is having around 75 members of his wife's family down to their river home on Saturday. He decided he wanted the pontoon boat there to take them out on the river if they wanted to go. Instead of using closer boat ramps, he decided to set it in about 12 miles or so up the Cumberland at the nearest town and float down, and I went with him. Three of his grandsons decided to join us, so Thursday we spent about six hours mostly drifting with the current and only using the motor to steer into deeper channels at the shallower areas. The boys caught some rainbow and brown trout along the way. We took plenty of food and drinks, had the canopy up for shade and set out in a fog shrouded river. I took the camera with the zoom lens and got a few shots after the fog lifted. We'll see how those come out after the roll is shot up and developed.

After their shindig he's decided, instead of going back up river, to float down about 20 miles farther to take it out. I'll be going with him for that trip. He'll drive the truck and boat trailer to the pull out destination and leave it there. I'll follow along in the car to take us back to his house to get on the boat. The kids will be back in school by the time he does that, so it will be just the two of us on that trip. There are some homes, farms and cabins along the Cumberland, but miles and miles go by with no sign of civilization at all. We didn't see but four fishing boats in the entire six plus hours, so pretty much had the river to ourselves. Little experiences like that are the icing on the cake of life. It was a great day.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one to keep in the memory banks, Fish. A day like that makes you wonder why folks would want to live in places like New Yawk City and Chicago, etc.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Or Las Vegas like I did? That was mom's fault. She started me eating when I was too young to know better, and I can't seem to break the habit. So I needed to earn some bread money.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I would enjoy that. NOt a fisherman, but I love float along and see nothing.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I am a fisherman - or should I say "fisherwoman" and I would absolutely love that! It sounds like heaven, or as close to it as one can get here on earth.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

LOL! I read the comment section after I posted my comment. I shouldn't do that! Your mom taught you to eat. Shame on her! ;)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, I never have cared for fishing, which makes me odd man out in our family. Like you, I just enjoyed the peace of the river that day.

Yes Gayle a pontoon boat makes a wonderful platform for fishermen (or fisherwomen). This particular boat also has a swingaway electric trolling motor that can be operated completely with one foot while your hands are busy with fishing gear.

Mom was devious that way. She taught us a lot of nasty habits like eating, cleanliness, how to cook, do dishes, dust, sweep, do laundry and the like. One of my blessings in life.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream come true. And catching trout to boot! I'm getting ready to take a vacation. Might give deep sea fishing a try.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect day (to my husband). I could float, I suppose, but after a while I find myself wishing I had brought a good book.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Sounds TOTALLY glorious. Nothing better than good friends (relatives will do -- heh heh heh) and some time to chat, fish, navigate.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home