Friday, July 27, 2007

In a little bit

When we moved to Kentucky the first time over 25 years ago, I opened a print shop. I needed some wiring in the shop and called a local electrician. He said "Okay, I'll be over in a little bit". Two and a half days later I called again to see if he'd forgotten me. He seemed miffed I'd called again and said "I told you I'd be over in a little bit!" That's when I began to realize the meanings of words varied from place to place. The other thing I learned was part of the reason the area was financially depressed. A lot of people won't do a job even if you hire them. That still seems true around here today.

When my daughter bought the acre adjacent to our property and had a mobile home set up, the people that put in the water and septic system, the phones and lights, were all johnny on the spot. Now months later she's still trying to get someone to skirt the bottom of the trailer. The mobile home company was supposed to send someone out right away, but no amount of calling has accomplished anything. We contacted others that do that work and no one gets back to us. I saw a fellow in a local restaurant I knew to be a builder, and a native of the area, so I asked him if he could recommend someone for the job. He told me he would do it and would call me that evening with a quote. That was a week and a half ago and I've not heard from him. We picked up skirting material ourselves and tomorrow I'm going to see if I can become a skirting installer, at least for one mobile.

I've also ordered the material for a back porch about 12 x 25 feet complete with roof for her place. If anyone has some free time in the next week or so, drop on in. I have an extra hammer. Claw hammer, not ball peen.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if I lived a little closer, Fish, I'd drop by and help you. But, no hammer for me, I'd bring along this feller. Yeah, it's Chinese but the one I have actually works pretty darned good.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Telegram for A.G.T.
Stay Home - stop
Send Nailer - stop
Grin - stop

6:05 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

oh ho ho.. the telegram was the final touch.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

"Send Nailer". LOL!

Good luck with the skirting job, Fish... It's not that hard. Walt and I have done a pretty dang good job of it before, although that was several years ago, and as handy as you are with tools (except for ballpeen hammers) I'm sure you'll probably do a better job anyway and save your daughter a bunch of money. I sense you to be somewhat of a perfectionist. :)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know don't you that anyone under the age of oh..... about 50 or so probably wouldn't know what that - stop - thing was all about, eh? :-)

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home