Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A new rudeness

Our ancestors had to content themselves with a communication system that often took months to get a letter through, then Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. I'm old enough to remember "Central" when you rang the local operator to make a long distance call. She would patch the call through to the county seat, and it would be plugged in to the state capitol. From there it would be routed from one operator to another all the way across the country. With each additional connection you would lose a bit of volume and quality so a call several states away might require you both to shout to be heard at all. It could also take a couple of hours to make the linkage and the operator would ring you back when they'd completed the connection to your party. I think the realization of direct dial really hit me when we lived in Arizona. We had a couple of girls from Holland living with us a few months, and they wanted to call home to let their parents know they were okay. In the front of the phone book it told how to dial international. They punched in the appropriate numbers and the phone rang in their parents livingroom in the Netherlands. Amazing.

Then they invented to mobile phone. Originally it was mounted in the car, or was carried in a small suitcase but as technology progressed they got smaller. Now I think the only limitation is enough space for buttons and ear to mouth capability, and we've created a whole generation that must be in instant communication with everyone they know. It's become the new measure of rudeness. Drivers so engrossed in their conversation they don't notice they're doing 30 in the left lane of the Interstate in a 70 mph zone, or drifting between lanes, running stop signs, and basically oblivious to the fact they're supposed to be controlling more than a ton of hurtling steel. Running into you in a supermarket because their mind was on the conversation rather than their surroundings, having the phone ring in a movie theater, a wedding, a funeral, just anywhere. Rudeness. They come to your home to visit you and half the time there they are taking and making calls on their phones like you have a hold button and will wait for them to get back to you when they finish with their chat. We even had an uninvited insurance salesman ask to show us his wonderful plan. During the presentation his phone rang and he answered it. He may not have noticed, but his sales pitch ended right there. Any chance he had of selling me a policy went right out the window. If they were talking to me and I just walked away in mid sentence, they'd think me extremely rude, but when they answer the phone in the middle of our conversation that's precisely what they are doing. I had to carry a cell phone for business for several years. If I was in heavy traffic or on the freeway when it rang I let the answering system pick it up and take a message. If I was with a customer the phone was shut off during that time. It doesn't take a genius to understand simple concepts of courtesy concerning this new bane on the American scene, so why is it most cell phone owners can't seem to understand this?

8 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

It's true, Fish, and it's extremely annoying. I hate cell phones. I only use one when I am driving alone and no one has the number for it except my husband. It's for emergency use only.

Actually, I hate phones period! They are convenient when I need to use them, but a darn nuisance most of the time. I don't answer a phone unless I feel like it. If it's important the caller will call back. I don't feel it's necessary to be connected to everyone I know all of the time. I enjoy time to be by myself with my thoughts and without interruption.

Great post, and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! :)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Happy Independence Day to you too Gayle.

"Yes, but what if it's an emergency?" I heard that for years. The answer is, if it's an emergency don't call me, call 911. Everything else can wait. Most people would never think of just coming up to your house any time day or night and walking in, but in a sense that's what they do with the phone.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I despise the things. We have one, but Mrs GunTrash is the primary user and it's rare if she uses it. And when she does it usually "What size ______ do you wear? I forget. They have 'em on sale today here at ______"

We have call waiting and I don't care for that either. I think it the height of rudeness to be talking to someone and then get a "beep" and say, "Excuse me, but our conversation isn't all that important so I'm going to put you on hold and see if this incoming call is from a more interesting person than you."

Or sumtin' like that.

6:40 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Was in my favorite eating place with the wife yesterdy. A gent came in, ordered a drink, then rang up his wife, who was still outside talking with somebody. "Watcha want me to order for your drink, dear?" As much as I hate them, I checked into getting one, as we travel the mountains and plains. The young
HS clerk explained that they don't work in the mountains and plains, but you can take pictures, text message your best....I left while he continued. And no, I do not purchase bottled water either!!
Good job, Fish, you stirred up my
old coot orneriness..

7:30 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

AGT we had call waiting for a while in Vegas, and I hated it. We don't have that on our current phones. Generally if I'm talking to someone, especially if they called me, and they give me that "wait a minute, there's someone on the other line" then click off, I click off too. I don't answer the phone for the next few hours in case they call back. The answering machine can handle that.

BB, old coot orneriness has it's place, and we can use more of it in this country today. You mean ten ounces of water doesn't cost you a dollar when you get it from your tap?

8:23 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I don't have call waiting, either, Fish. It's extremely rude.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Everyone is so mobile.... it's nice to know your daughters have a cell phone if they are traveling alone across country.

But, I'm with you on people talking on their cell while conducting business irritating.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela cell phones have been a lifesaver so many times no one could even estimate. My big gripe is it seems to epitomize the lack of courtesy we see today.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home