Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ramblin' on and on and...

I hope that's the last for a while. Our youngest daughter was married Saturday in Indiana. Her new husband was her secret heart-throb as a kid. He was a friend of our eldest son, and when she first saw him when she was about ten, she thought he was it. We moved away from Indiana when she was 13, then about six years ago he found her name on Classmates.com and wrote to ask if she was my son's little sister. The rest, as they say, is history. I think those two have a goth thing going though and both had black hair for the ceremony. He wore black leather and had a .45 caliber semi-automatic strapped on his belt. She made her own gown, floor length of heavy black lace over silver and had a snub nosed .38 in a holster on her ankle. I gave the bride away and had my 9mm semi-automatic on my side, and the preacher had a derringer in his pocket. Just because the 2nd amendment says we can. Quite a few people attended, and I got to talk with family members I rarely see. The Patriarch of the family was there, my uncle, mother's brother. He and one aunt are the surviving members of that generation but from the looks of him he may be around past a hundred. Amazingly healthy and looks twenty years younger than his 88 years. A couple of months ago he drove to Florida and back for his granddaughter's wedding. It turned out to be a good day. Of course my brother officiated. I told him this should qualify me for the family package, having two kids married in a month.

As I've said before, I do a daily e-newsletter for graduates of the high school in my little home town. Occasionally we get some interesting debates going via the newsletter with everyone sending me their comments and letting me put it all together and send it to everyone else. I just learned our little town has it's own urban legend. It seems, according to this legend, it was originally set up as two towns. One where the business district has always been to be named Salem, and another where the railroad and depot sat that would be called Jeru. The thought being as they grew together they would become JeruSalem. Fortunately I have a copy of the centennial booklet that was published in 1935, and includes the history of the town. It gives the details of the establishment of the town, even to it's size and the surveyor's notes, along with the three men that established it, and the justice of the peace that registered the paperwork. That was 1835, and the name they gave it at the time is the same as it's current name. The railroad, according to that book, ran it's first train into town in February 1880 a full 45 years after the town was established. Cold hard facts often ruin the best of urban legends. Ya gotta keep those things more vague.

Anyone big on repairing weed-eater's? I have two now, one of which runs somewhat thanks to my ministrations today, and the other may or may not run after I buy it a new spark plug. Of course the smart thing is to just buy a new trimmer. Both of those were under a hundred bucks, but there's something about a piece of machinery I just hate to give up on. By the time I get done fiddling with them I'll probably have several hundred dollars worth of time figuring at minimum wage, then I'll throw them away and get new ones.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A 2nd Amendment wedding, I like that.

Re weed eaters - Can't help you, Fish other than suggest replacing both of 'em with a Poulan commercial model, which is what I did a few years back.

Most things powered by a 4 cycle engline I'll dive into, it's air, fuel, ignition and compression (all in the proper ratio and order, of course). But those durned 2 cycle things I never could seem to figure out how to make them work.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

AGT, I think both of mine ran out of pixie dust because I can't see anything else wrong with them.

5:16 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

A lot of orndnance there..sort of puts 'shotgun wedding' in a new light...sounds pretty unique, even by Idaho standards. :)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I've only heard of SHOTGUN WEDDINGS. This wedding I would have loved to seen.

The story of Classmates.com is kinda romantic.

"Hey... are you my best buds snotty nose little sister?" (:

12:05 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Fish, we need pictures posted of that wedding. It sounds like a hoot! :)

Can't help with the weed-eater problem. If it works, I'll use it (sort of like the car) and if it doesn't we either get it repaired or buy a new one.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

BB, for a formal wedding we paint the shotgun white.

Pamela, how could she resist the "snotty nosed kid sister" line?

Gayle, if I recall there were only 22 rolls of film taken. I'm sure if my daughter can swing a loan to get them developed we'll have quite a few to choose from.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures! Pictures!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home