Sunday, September 09, 2007

Who says you can't go home


My little home town in Indiana has an "Old Fashioned Days" festival over Labor Day week-end each year. We decided to take that in this year then stay over and visit with family members that live in the area. It was the town's 32 year to hold this celebration, and over the years they've added to it making it quite an event for a small town. They have a stage with various musical groups, there's a parade with floats commemorating one thing or another, marching bands, antique vehicles and tractors, horses, mule teams and the like. This year's parade was about an hour start to finish. There are demonstrations of antique farm equipment, tractor pulls, all sorts of booths with craft items for sale. A couple of the churches do meals. One church had a smorgasbord breakfast/brunch that ran til ten, then at one o'clock another church took over serving porkchop meals until four. There were dozens of yard sales around town.

I enjoyed wandering around town noting all the changes in the 50 years since I last lived there, chatting with people I new from back then, and some that were later arrivals. Now I'm back home, and it's cooled down a little so I'm back into building a porch and skirting my daughter's mobile home. Other than checking my mail and one other project, I'm not getting much computer time.

My home town will be celebrating it's 175 year in 2010, so they're putting together as much information as they can. Interviewing old timers on tape that will transfer to DVD for sale to anyone interested, creating a book of histories and remembrances and the like. Since I've been doing an E-newsletter for more than five years for my fellow alumnus of that town, I've accumulated quite a bit of information about the town. I'm in the process of gleaning just the information from those that are pertinent to the town. Having put out five newsletters a week for five years, I have a lot of material to sort through. It may take me until 2010. There are two names that designate a 175th anniversary, Septaquintaquinquecentennial or Terquasquicentennial. Since no human tongue can pronounce either of these the town has decided to call it a 175 year celebration. Good choice

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, calling it the town's 175th year sure is easier on the tongue than those other two choices.

Hoosier pragmaticism wins out!

Or would that be pragmatism...

whatever.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

175 years - that's a lot of history to cover!

My FIL still receives the daily paper form his small town in Montana. It is a fun read - but it keeps him updated on all the old families he used to know.

12:39 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

I suppose they could bite the bullet and call it the CLXXV
celebration.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

AGT I'm not sure it was pramaticism or the fact that any mention of the other name only garnered blank looks.

Karmyn, I receive a county paper each week. It's been in continuous publication since 1847, and has a section of the latest from my home town.

BB, I think they considered that but people kept trying to pronounce it too. Whut's Cluxuxvee?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Theres a little town called Enterprise in Oregon that has Mule Days

Everything is Mules. Everything.
It was last weekend - and I would have loved to visited except we had the garden party....

maybe next year.

Your Old Fashioned Days would be a delight, I'm sure

10:32 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

LOL! I think that would be "pragmatism".

Well Fish, it looks like you certainly have your hands full. One thing is for certain, you are not going to sit around being bored! :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Mule Days Pamela? I'd fit right in with that. At least I've been accused of being as stubborn as...

Gayle, you're right about that, but then I don't ever recall a moment of boredom in my life. My mind is always working on something, even if my body ain't.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home