Monday, August 27, 2007

Idiot Lights

I was trying to remember. Was it the fifties or sixties they started replacing gauges in cars with idiot lights? I've never cared for the lights because by the time the light pops on you're in trouble. With the gauges, if the car was starting to heat up you could see it at a glance and try to remedy it. With the lights the only indication you have is the car has overheated. You might have passed a station just a couple miles back where you could have stopped if there was a gauge indicating a problem, but basically when a light pops on it means "You may already be too late to save your engine". Our Blazer is wonderful in this respect. Besides the fuel gauge, it has gauges for engine temperature, oil pressure, and alternator like they used to do on all cars. The Cadillac is an entirely different creature however. It's taken the idiot light concept to a whole new level. It doesn't even have a gas gauge, but gives you the number of gallons remaining. It will have an "F" when you've just filled up, and an "E" when you'd better get to a station quickly. In between these two it will show something like "16", meaning there are 16 gallons remaining in the tank. As to oil pressure, engine temperature or whether the alternator is charging it doesn't just give you a light, it will give you a little message. Something to the effect "We hate to be the ones to tell you, but you've just burned your engine up because you ran out of coolant".

This morning I'm out mowing the lawn and start to get too hot. The thermometer on the back porch is saying 92°, so I take a break in the air conditioning for a while. My wife had taken the Cadillac and headed over to another town about 35 miles away to have lunch with a group of lady friends, and while I'm inside the phone rings. She says she'd been trying to call me. The car is heating up so she stopped at a station, bought some coolant and added it to the reservoir, even though it didn't take much. I figured she had received one of the cars little love notes telling her she was in trouble, but not so. She said as she started back out it was showing two hundred twenty five and still going up, what should she do. I asked "where are you reading this temperature" unaware there was anything in that car that would actually give you some useful information. There was silence on the phone for a second, then she said "I was looking at the "Trip Counter" and thinking it said "Temp". Now she did make me swear not to tell a soul, so if she asks, you didn't hear it from me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

LOL Oh man, Fish. I really hope she doesn't see your blog.

Reminds me of the time my (ex) husband decided to change the oil on our brand new Izuzu Trooper. About two miles down the road it was smoking hot. Seems he put the oil in the wrong place. Cost about $2,500 to replace the engine...

12:04 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Fish, I'm glad it all turned out okay and it'll be one of those funny, but embarassing stories y'all can tell on each other at gatherings.

But... Cadillac? I thought you knew better. You are playing with fire. It's just a matter of time before that Caddy bites ya'!

I've owned only one, but it was the most undependable, unreliable piece of General Motors c**p I ever had the misfortune of parking in my driveway. I think other than when my first grandchild was born the happiest day of my life was when a complete stranger gave me $2800 cash (book value on it was $5200, but I didn't care) and drove it away and out of my life.

G*d I hated that car.

But, good story about the odometer. I got a big laugh out it!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

thanks for the laugh... at your wife's expense.

our expedition gives us a reading on how many miles we have left in the tank...

I hit 80 mph driving thru nevada on Saturday - and those miles went fast two ways b.e.l.i.e.v.e me!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I laughed out loud.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Walker, where in the world did he put the oil? In the radiator? Cars are pickie about such things.

AGT, we bought the Caddie used from an older lady here at a real good price. So far it's been a faithful beast and very comfortable for my long lanky frame. When it goes south I'll get rid of it.

Pamela, some of the Nevada highways can be long and lonesome. We came down from the north toward Tonepah one time and all we saw for most of a tank of gas was us, the car and the highway. Wouldn't want to break down out there.

Patrick, I had to pick on my wife, but how many times have I done just such things I don't like to think about

12:27 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Nanc is a blogger who posts about what she calls her "Oh, Boo!" moments. I do believe your wife had one of those! LOL!

Well, who hasn't? I've had to many of them to count.

When it comes to cars, I don't think all that much progress has been made. They seem to have forgotten the "keep it simple, stupid" rule. Cars are more complicated than they ever were. If I ever had a chance of understanding how a car works, those days are long gone!

7:29 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Heheheeee! Classic!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home