Thursday, December 13, 2007

On your AM Radio Dial

I saw my first television broadcast just before my tenth birthday, and it was another three or four years before we had our first television set in the home. Prior to that we listened to a table model Philco AM radio with a wooden cabinet and an external antenna wire. Radio was king in those days, and your radio personalities were national or local celebrities. Radio, much like books, required you to use your imagination to create the scenes portrayed by the characters. Television could never have created a set as foreboding and drear as my mind portrayed Jack Benny's money vault down in the dungeon of his home, and Fibber McGee's closet would never have been as funny as a sight gag as it was in my own mind. You knew the Shadow was there in the room with the bad guy, but on television you just see the bad guy by himself in a room. The same thing happens today when they take a book you've enjoyed and make a movie from it. To start they have to leave so much out to make it into a two hour movie, but the scenes and characters never resemble the ones you've created in your mind. It's almost always a big let-down. So much so I generally refuse to see a movie made from a book I've liked.

My grandmother had one of the huge old floor model radios with a cabinet that was a fine piece of furniture. It used such large vacuum tubes it must have made the electric meter spin when it was turned on. On a cold day you could stand next to it to keep warm. With an outside antenna that ran most of the length of the property it could, when the weather was right, pick up signals from around the world. There were actually spots on the dial identified by city names such as London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Tokyo, and with the proper weather inversion you could actually receive these foreign language broadcasts. FM radio is primarily dependent on line of sight, but the AM signals could skip around the world. My brother-in-law and I, sitting in central Indiana, listened to "Music of the Islands, from the Islands", Honolulu Hawaii for a couple of hours one night, and it was the strongest station on the dial. That was on a small, table model AM radio with no external antenna too. At times radio was an adventure.

If I could return to those days and the programming we enjoyed, I wouldn't. I still remember how magical it seemed to have movie shows in your own living room once television hit the scene, and today's news from around the world in real time is sheer magic. I'll never forget how the radio brought me the world, entertained me, and added so much to the pleasant memories of childhood.

One program I remember from childhood was called "The Renfro Valley Barn Dance", a country music show that was on every Saturday night. Last week-end we drove through Renfro Valley, Kentucky and that's what started this train of thought. I'm happy to announce the barn dance still goes on, though I don't know if it's broadcast these days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I'm just " young " enough that I don't remember sitting around the radio as a family

But, I do remember it being on all the time in our house.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto, here. I just barely remember a big radio in the living room. Though I do clearly recall the first TV in the house. A honking big wood box with this tiny little picture tube in it.

AM signals - I also remember in the 50s & early 60s we'd tune into WLS out of Chicago at night to catch the latest rock 'n roll. Couldn't pick it up during the day, but at night it was crystal clear.

4:48 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Yeah, wooden radio with a green 'catseye' tuner: Bobby Benson of the B-bar-B, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon (and his trusty malemute King)..Straight Arrow and his golden palamino.
Two lids from a puffed wheat cereal box and you could send for a folding cardborn yukon village or a genuine gold plastic Straight arrow ring. ..but, I've lost track of those treasures over the years...*sigh*

1:15 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, about the only time I remember the whole family listening to the radio together was Sunday suppers. Dad always listened to Roosevelt's "Fireside Chats" in my earliest memories, and we'd play in the bedrooms when mom and dad listened to their favorites, but Jack Bennie and Fibber McGee were for Sunday dinner listening.

AGT, night time was usually that way. I'm sure someone can explain the reason for that, but we listened to WLS like you, WBZ Boston,and could always get some clear channel thing out of Texas, seems like it was WOAI, San Antonio.

BB, remember, Straight Arrow had his cowboy disguise where he went by the name Steve Austin (not the six million dollar man). I've lost track of my treasures too. Nabisco Shredded Wheat always had a piece of cardboard between layers of the bisquits, and they would print Indian lore stories and how-tos on these. We had quite a few of them in our collection. I had a lot of "collapsable, handy to carry on hikes" treasures I'd ordered from the cereal companies. Great stuff.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I'm old enough to remember crystal sets. Just kidding but my dad had one. We used to call the radio the "wireless" in the old days.

Our family used to gather round the wireless every Wednesday night to listen to Lux (or Palmolive?) Radio Theater and every and Friday to listen to "Nowhere to Hide."

Yes, you could see everything in your mind's eye. I didn't see TV till I was 21 in 1968.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

My husband's family thought watching television was a sin so they only had the radio. I guess the Grand Old Opry was an event every weekend.

Funny thing about the anti-television days. In those days the television was actually all sweetness and light. Now they all watch television and it is full of outrageous anti-Christian, anti-American programming. LOL. I can't help thinking that if they had all been watching television earlier, they might have been able to stop its decline. But maybe not.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish2 Glad I found your blogg. I like it my daughter -in-law mention you I clicked on and there we are. I read "gone with the wind" a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then one day in a bunch of stuff my husband bought at the auction I came across a film of it. It was not nearly as exciting to me as the book. In fact it was a real let down. I just didn't know how to put it in word like you did. Rose I have a blog called rosemary'spentecostalsongs

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home