Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saving our history




I've been following the progress on the restoration of a circa 1820 house in Glasgow Kentucky. It's an interesting old structure with a kitchen separated from the house, and slave quarters in the basement. There's a covered porch between the kitchen and the house, and a door in the porch leads to a root cellar beneath the kitchen. One feature I found interesting is the three doors between the porch and the dining room. The center door leads into the dining room, but the doors to each side open into closets. The kitchen slaves would open the door to the right and place the clean dishes, tableware, napkins and the like in there. The closet door on the left is where they would place the prepared food. Once these outside closet doors were closed the serving staff would open inside doors that provided access to the same closets, set the tables and serve the food.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

That's ingenious. I love old houses but I'm glad I no longer live in one - too much work.

9:21 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Interesting old place. Got me thinking about Merriwether Lewis, who had been out this way in 1805.
In 1809, he stopped over at Grinder's Stand tavern on the Natchez Trace, south of modern
Nashville. Shot himself. So, I checked out Glasgow, and find (predictably, almost) places like Slick Rock, Knob Lick, Merry Oaks, Berry's Store and Eighty Eight. Yup, sounds like about 200 years back!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick, I'm with you. I love the modern conveniences.

BB, there's a place about halfway between Glasgow and Eighty-Eight called Forty-Four. I've often wondered which came first. Was it named Forty-Four because it was halfway to Eighty-Eight, or was Eighty-Eight named that because it was twice as far as Forty-Four.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home