Saturday, October 06, 2007

Do Your Own Thing

I had a friend for years that enjoyed life more than most people can even imagine. He was always very presentable, kept himself in good physical condition, was interested in every subject you could bring up, and could generally comment intelligently on them. The last few years we lived in Vegas, about once a week he'd drop-in for a few hours in the evening, and we'd just talk. He had his quirks though. When leisure suits came out he'd bought several. He loved them, thought they were comfortable, and when we went any place dressy he would wear one of them. Of course there would be that occasional stupid comment by someone much younger. It didn't bother him. He'd spent the entire day at Normandy on D-Day driving a landing craft between ship and shore, and anyone who has some knowledge of that day understands the carnage along that beach. Some jerk making a snide remark about his leisure suit was not about to bother him. He'd earned the right to damn well dress as he pleased.

Another friend was a hippy. In fact he never got over being a hippy in many ways. He is very intelligent, a responsible citizen, earns his own way, has his own home and the like, but he still smokes some grass now and then, and even though he's bald on top, still wears his hair in a pony tail, wears an earring, and dresses pretty funky when he's lounging around home, or even out in public.

Older people dressing young or funky or wearing a pony tail, seem to be a source of mirth to many youngsters. Often criticized by the younger crowd. Makes me wonder where the younger crowd gets off griping about criticism by older people when they insert metal in all parts of their body, wear brightly colored hair spiked like the Statue of Liberty or someone that just stuck their finger in a wall socket, and sixteen earrings in each ear. They act like they invented the idea of "doing your own thing", rather than just being the inheritors of the concept. A lot of a double standard there I would say.

Personally, I never was into fads. I've never pierced anything intentionally, have no tattoos, never had a pony tail, hell I didn't even wear bell bottoms when they were popular. Blue jeans are a great piece of attire, and a button up shirt without any messages printed on them works just fine for me. I guess I missed most of that while playing "up-the-corporate-ladder" during the sixties and seventies with three piece suits and ties. But if you want spiked hair, body studs, tattoos as a kid, or want to wear a gray pony tail behind a bald head, or speedos under a beer belly, have at it. Just stop belly-aching about how someone else chooses to "do their own thing".

8 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

I wish I'd had the guts to wear a leisure suit. They do look comfy. Of course the kids who laugh at us old coots dress like clowns or worse.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

and.... they shouldn't complain if no one will hire them. Some of those piercings and tattoos are just unemployable.

Our wedding picture is hubby in a leisure suit (oh and a perm that I gave him for which he has forgiven me)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I can't imagine not having at least one little tattoo on your bod. But, like you're saying, Fish, to each his own and my general view of my getting along with my fellow man boils down to don't poop in my messkit and I won't poop in yours!

Although this crazy music kids listen to makes no sense at all to me.


Wait a minute... those are my Dad's exact words 50 years ago!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I don't have any tattoos or piercings either, Fish, other than one in each ear which is rather traditional for women. Fads don't impress me either, and sometimes even I wonder about older people who seem to be stuck in the 60's or 70's, but I figure it's their business.

Like Appalachian Gun Trash suggested, our parents didn't like our music either. I'm pretty tolerant of most music except for RAP. I hate it! I detest it! It's a wonder I haven't shot out someone's boom box by now. They play it as loud as they can. I live out in the country and one guy stopped at the corner by my house with his windows down and his boom box blaring, waking me out of a sound sleep. It was the wee hours of the morning. I don't know what he was doing but he didn't go anywhere, so about ten minutes later I stepped outside and shot off one of our rifles into the air. He left. Dang, they drive me nuts!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick, I remember when the hugely baggie pants first became popular. I asked one kid where his red bulb nose was, telling him the only people I ever saw wear baggy pants were clowns.

Pamela, a perm? He's a very forgiving husband. Hang onto him.

AGT, I've never been able to find a picture I wanted on my walls for life, so I would never be able to choose a tattoo I wanted on my body for life. I do recall being disapointed when my dad changed stations on the car radio when "Hound Dog" came on back in the mid 50's

Gayle, I'm with you on RAP. My opinion is the just left the C off the front of it. My older brother worked for years in Silocone Valley and helped develop stuff for the moon shots and the like. I once asked if it was possible to build an electronic gadget I could aim at a car that was booming at me and burn their system out. He said he could. I told him if he built it I would buy it, but he never did. Many times I've wished I had just such gizmo.

6:13 PM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

I often wonder how these voluntary, self-made freak shows of today will look, oh, say, in about 40 or 50 years from now. (assuming they make it that far!)
My God, a whole nursing home filled with extras from Mad Max!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

WTR, nails it!

I once listened to a 25-year-old say she really thought long and hard before she got her tattoo because she didn't want to be embarrassed 20 years from now.

So, who would be embarrassed by a dolphin jumping around on their tit at age 45? Or, you know, age 25?

6:35 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Well, you know, the "marriage for life" concept has sort of gone on the skids, so possibly the only way some people can have something for life is to tattoo themselves.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home