Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Manual Labor

I've been building a porch on my daughter's mobile home for several months now. When it's too hot, I quit. If there's something more interesting happening, I quit. If it's too cold I don't start. If it's raining I don't start. If I just don't feel like it, I don't start. After all, I'm retired. Maybe they'll get to enjoy it next summer. I'm up to the point I'm ready to put down the outdoor carpeting (that's the roll laying on the porch in the picture). I decided to leave the railings off until the carpet is down to make it easier, so they'll be installed once that's done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. One more detail will be lattice work around the bottom, or something (depending on when she makes up her mind). I've never built a porch before. In fact a couple of sheds and a dog house are about the extent of my construction credentials, so after buying all the materials I needed I've made a half dozen more trips to the builder's supply house for stuff I forgot.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

the hubby built a deck this summer.
same story about making doubledy dozen trips for things

10:33 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

I stopped by near town today to see how my brother and his son were doing on the spec house they're building. The deck on the rear of that house was built by the nephew in one day, including setting the posts in the ground. It's about 8 x 12. That's the difference between someone that's been a builder for years and me.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

For someone who hasn't built a porch before, it looks great. We have trellis work around ours to keep the coons and other critters out. Problem is the bantams can squeeze through.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Thanks Patrick. It was a trick trying to stay under the edge of the house roof, and still leave the open view and enough headroom. It had to be self supporting too. You can't hang that much weight on the side of a mobile home. I gave up on the idea of it being level with the doorway and dropped it a foot with one six inch step.

8:37 PM  
Blogger A.G.T. said...

And if the mobile home is ever moved, you'll have a ready-made band shelter! :)

Seriously, it looks good, Fish. It's amazing what you can do with the right tools, right material and the right attitude.

As a fellow retiree I know that one about if "I don't feel like doing anything today, I don't do anything today." Doesn't pay very well but it does make for less stress.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

LOL! I had to read Patrick's comment twice. I though he said "the batman's" squeeze through. Probably thought that because of a recent post I wrote.

Anyway, this porch looks professional to me, and I know quite a lot about it. My husband and I have been building structures for a long time. Good job!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great,
as well as the content!

my blog - www.Warriorforum.com

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home