Saturday, May 05, 2007

Hanging Out Time

Our daughter in Indiana made up coupons and gave my wife and I each a book of coupons at Christmas. One of my coupons was for "Hanging out time". The idea being I could redeem it from her for some exclusive time for just the two of us to be together. When we were discussing this we determined the last time she and I had spent any time together without other friends or family, was about 24 years ago. Long overdue for "hanging out time". When I knew I was to be in Indiana for this past week-end she and I arranged to take a picnic lunch and drive over to the Shades State Park for the day on Sunday. It was a good choice. Since most people go to the larger Turkey Run State Park near-by, there were very few people at the Shades that day. I took my coupon with me.

It's long been my practice to avoid hiking trails. I stroll trails, and that seemed to fit in with her ideas quite well. We strolled trail one, or what trail one has become since the last time I was through that way. That trail descends into a large hollow called the Devil's Punchbowl then wanders down that canyon to what used to be called "Bridal Veil Falls". I can't remember what they call it now, but instead of descending to the bottom of the falls then along Sugar Creek as it once did, the trail stops about a quarter way down the side of the falls, and you have to backtrack then go up over the hill to continue on. A sign said "No 'Hikers' beyond this point", but since we're "strollers" it didn't apply. We descended down the precarious slope to the bottom of the falls to take some pictures (then had to climb back up the same way). Rather than going up over the hill though we returned to the punchbowl and back up to the car to break out our lunch.

When I was a kid and we visited this park and others, mom always packed ham-salad sandwiches, potato chips, olives, cookies and iced tea, so that was what we took. Hey, if it was good back then, it's still good today. Besides I have mom's recipe for ham salad and made this batch exactly as she used to. Good stuff.

After lunch we talked each other into trying one more trail and chose trail 5. Now trail 5 is a deceptive little pathway. It started out as a stroll through the woods, pleasant day, gentle breeze, good conversation, then began a gentle descent. After a while it was a bit steeper descent with an occasional step. Before long it gets real serious about this step thing and you find yourself going down one flight of wooden steps after another until you're on the banks of Sugar Creek. Of course we knew the car was somewhere at the level before any downhill nonsense begins, and once you've dropped down that far the only choice available is to go back up again. We sat for a long time on the banks of the creek waiting for a paddlewheel boat, a helicopter, canoeists, a log raft or anything that might float us down to civilization. We knew we really didn't want to climb all those millions and millions (hey, it seemed like that many) of steps back up, so decided to follow along Sugar Creek to where the map shows the trail heading back toward the parking lot. As you reach this part of the trail a sign informs you this is a "Rugged" trail. I said "Oh good, I like walking on carpeting", but soon learned that rugged doesn't mean it's covered with a rug. The trail is basically walking up a stream, stepping from rock to log to stump to rock, to - oops, that was mud. We both agreed though it was easier taking that "rugged" trail than it would have been to climb the stairs back up, and there was a delightful little falls, grottos, lots of shaded areas to stop to rest (every 15 feet or 15 seconds, whichever came first). It was a great time of year for wild flowers of all sorts too.

Once we'd returned to the car, sat at the picnic table and enjoyed another glass of tea, we agreed that was enough of the wilderness thing for one day and headed out. The weather was perfect, and our time together was balm for my soul - just too quickly passed. Thank you dear daughter for the "Hanging Out Time".

4 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

That time together is some of the most precious moments in one's lifetime. Dang, I miss my daughter, but she'll be home from college for a couple of weeks in June.

You were "strollers" not "hikers" so the rules didn't apply! ROTF! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. :)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

And once again, I'm so glad you are back!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Thanks Gayle, it seems strange to suddenly be a blogger again. I'm sure Murphy had something to do with the laws that apply here.

8:58 PM  
Blogger ortho said...

I'm glad Blogger allows you to blog. I enjoyed reading your post. It sounds like a wonderful day.

I look forward to reading more of your writing.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home