Saturday, January 13, 2007

Carrying a concealed deadly weapon

Kentucky requires you to take a course by a state certified instructor before you can qualify for a permit to carry a concealed weapon ($75), then pay the local Sheriff $20 and the State Police $40. The State Police are the issuing agency. If you pass the classes the instructor sends the appropriate information to the State Police. Within 90 days they have to either issue a certificate of qualification, or prove you are not qualified to receive a CCW permit. Once you have the certificate you take it to the local Sheriff along with a recent color photo of a specified size and they issue a wallet sized concealed carry permit that you must have on you any time you are carrying a concealed weapon.

The classes are about eight hours long, include classroom instructions, reviewing copies of all the pertinent laws, a two hour movie (that contains about 20 minutes instruction that is repeated several times (yawn), a test, filling out affidavits, etc. Then you must qualify with your gun of choice at a controlled shooting range. Not really difficult if you have any proficiency with your handgun. It requires you to put X number of bullets into a man sized target at a distance of just 21 feet (7 yards). You flunk if you get less than 11 bullets out of 20 in the target. I took the class Saturday along with 14 others and aced the shooting with 20 rounds in the heart area, and everyone in the class put 20 out of 20 in the target. Hard to miss at that range, but it's about average for the distance you would have to shoot if you encountered a bad guy.

The shooting range was outside and it was raining lightly, sprinkling, raining a bit harder, or some form of wetness falling on us the whole time we were there. It took a couple of hours to run everyone through the target shooting and I had enough good sense in the morning to anticipate such conditions, taking an umbrella along.

After the range qualification part we returned to the instruction room and were required to break down and clean our weapons. Since this is something I do after each use there was no problem for me. It was interesting how many people there had never known guns should be cleaned. Some of the guns were several decades old, had been used extensively, but had never been cleaned. One of the guns used had been taken from a German during the Second World War by the fellow's grandfather. I think the German was the last person to clean it. It's a real testimony to the manufacturer the thing was still working flawlessly, because it required industrial strength cleaning.

That was my eight hour day. Now I wait for the certificate so I can have the Sheriff's department issue my CCW permit. I don't really need the permit as I'm quite comfortable wearing a fully exposed weapon in a holster, but often in cold weather my coat will hide it from sight. In such cases it becomes a concealed weapon, so I hike up the right side of my coat and tuck it behind the gun. Carrying it in the car is another place it will come in handy. The only place I can legally carry it in the car loaded and ready for action, is the glove compartment (I never carry gloves in there anyway). On the Blazer there is a hard molded pocket in the drivers door that would make it much more accessible if I carried it there, and with a CCW permit I can legally do that. Of course I will now have to shop for a smaller gun that will conceal easily on my body. And an ankle holster. And a shoulder holster. Maybe an inside the waistband holster.

One other thing is, the exposed weapon strapped to you side tends to make gun fearing people uncomfortable on the street, in stores and restaurants, and the like. When it's concealed they can proceed in their blissful ignorance. Most of the states I might be traveling into or through recognize the Kentucky CCW as valid in their state too. They include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

You will notice one neighboring state that does not recognize the Kentucky CCW, Illinois. They are one of only two states that will not issue a concealed carry permit. Must be that Chicago influence.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I was in a mall and found a wallet sitting on a bench. So, I picked it up and flipped it open to look at the drivers license - to see if I could picture the guy who dropped it. Instead, I pulled out his concealed weapons permit....I've never returned a wallet to the Lost&Found fast enough.

(as I was walking back down the mall - I spotted the guy and actually went and told him where his wallet was. He was one happy guy - didn't even know he had dropped his wallet)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just b4 Christmas I went to the pharmacy (walk up window) and I heard a dog barking loudly and a man yelling louder. I looked up to see two dogs hanging heads out of a beat up old car. The yelling was coming from an unkempt overweight man walking across the parking lot with a semi-automatic pistol. I thought he was going to shoot the dogs. I backed up behind the pillar and peaked around. He walked up to the car swearing blue streak. Took the gun and flung it into the car and then turned around and went back to the pharmacy door.

I guess they wouldn't let him in with his gun.

He was parked right beside me.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

The 2 biggest cities in Missouri have a lot of influence on our government too. Both Saint Louis and Kansas City are predominantly Democrats.

I've been meaning to put in for conceal and carry for a while now. Geeze, I need to get that done!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Karmyn, you mean you didn't grab the cash and credit cards and dump the wallet in the trash? Good for you. Us honest folk are actually the majority but never make it in the news.

Pamela, that's the beauty of a concealed carry, they won't see the gun. Any business owner can ask you to take the gun outside, and that's the way it should be.

Lone Pony, you can go to this NRA web site and click on your state on the map. It will bring up information on your state's Concealed Carry permits.

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent move, Fish! We always have two Kel-Tecs when we go out. Their 9mm with a 12 rd S&W mag goes into the glove box and when we get out of the truck there's Kel-Tec's mouse gun either in Mrs A.G.T.'s purse or my back pocket. It comes with a small zip up case that allows quick access but doesn't "telegraph" it's presence.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to carry any weapons freely around here, then after the LIEberals were in power for 30 years, it all changed. You can't get a conceal and carry here anymore. You can only get a permit to transport it from one location to another.... :-(

8:54 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I'm in two minds about the certification for CCW. I resent that the government thinks it has the right to require it but I also prefer that other folks know how to handle a gun and are licenced just like a car. We don't need to do a class here in Oregon. Actually I'm not a fan of concealed carry and would prefer to carry out in the open but people would freak.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

AGT, I like the look of your Mouse Gun, I'll have to look into that. Might just go out Saturday night to see if I can find a special.

ABF, maybe it will reverse itself in the near future. The facts indicate an increase in CCW permits lowers crime. If the legislators look at it from a rational rather than emotional level the pass these laws. Of course that's asking an awful lot from a legislator.

Patrick, I agree with you on this, and often wear my gun on my side out in public. If no one objects then I eat or shop in their establishment. If they object I lock it in the car and go back in, or leave depending on how they objected.

I would prefer they tossed every gun law in the country and pass just one law. The new law would simply say if you use a gun in the commission of a crime you go to jail for 50 years. 22,000 gun laws in this country all passed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, and they haven't worked. Just keep the criminals out of the general population.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Exactly, Fish. You nailed it.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Thanks Fish! I'll do that!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I have traveled this country many times all by myself, East Coast to West, and West to East, and have never driven accross country without a gun. I'm sure if I had been caught going through many states I would have gone to jail, or at least a huge fine levied against me, or both, but I absolutely will not drive for hundreds of miles alone without some sort of protection. I would rather go to jail than be dead! An empty rifle (German Mauzer) saved my life and the lives of my kids once. It was empty because I was only transporting it to a new location where I was moving to, and I didn't have bullets for it, but that's another story.

I think your state has too many regulations that you must meet in order to carry a weapon. Dang! How many criminals go to all that trouble?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Gayle, to one degree or another every state has too many rules and regulations on this. I'm quite sure the required class could be pared down quite a bit, but I think my instructor enjoyed what he was doing, thus extending it quite a bit. My daughter in Indiana paid the Sheriff's department $25 and was issued a permit after a brief background check - no classes. Indiana is also the only state that will issue a CCW to you at age 18. All other states require 21.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

No classes are required in Texas either; only the time to do a background check. I can't remember what I paid to licence the last handgun I bought; that was about five years ago, but it wasn't much.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Is that just registering the gun Gayle, or is it the permit to carry a concealed weapon you're talking about. Just registering the gun only takes five or ten minutes for them to run the background check then issue the registration card.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home