Saturday, June 16, 2007

Retirement ain't for wusses

The house came with an electric furnace and someone had added a package air conditioner. A package unit does not have cooling coils in the furnace, but the entire thing sits outside, has it's own air return and is connected to the duct work. It was getting feeble and needed quite a lot of repair costs. I figure if I put that money into the old unit, it wouldn't be long before I had to replace something else in it, then I'd start having trouble with the furnace too. I opted to toss the whole works and put in a new package heatpump. Now everything is outside except the ductwork and air return.

This left a space in the hallway between the kitchen and laundry rooms where the furnace had previously resided. It's about two foot square and eight foot tall. When they removed the furnace they sealed the duct beneath it and now I'm in the process of creating a cabinet that will just fit in that area and have shelves floor to ceiling. It will be anchored into place then wood trim that matches the rest of the house put around it, and a door that will hide the whole thing. Momma has several appliance that are only used on occasion and this will be the storage area for them. Things like the large pot she uses only when she makes chicken and home made noodles, her 30 cup coffee maker dragged out when we have a lot of people over, the dehydrators, meat grinder and such. Currently a lot of these things are in the shed, so it will leave me shelf room to better organize my tools.

I'm not sure just where I went wrong with this retirement thing. So far my 3½ years of retirement have seen me working harder than when I had a job. Of course it would have been simpler to drywall the space vacated by the furnace, then paint over it - but no - I had to come up with this bright idea. Worse yet, I have a list of tasks of this sort, changes I want to make, things I want to build. I think I'll leave the list hang on the wall and take a road trip when I get this one finished. I'm overdue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Yep... for people with a work ethic, actual "retirement" doesn't exist, Fish. We are both supposedly "retired" and never worked as hard in our lives! It keeps you mentally alert and in good physical condition though. :)

8:10 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Got a heat pump a couple years back. Was pleasantly suprised when my heating/cooling bill went down about 40%. As for retirement,
there's work and there's WORK. In my case, I gave up the quart of Maalox a week....cold turkey!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Yes Gayle, I have no intention of rusting out. Most things I do now I do because I want to.

BB I had my first heatpump installed in a home I owned in the early seventies. I got a real deal then. I worked for the manufacturer. Maalox? Never touch the stuff. I'm a Scotchtotaler.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever saw one of those outside central air/central heat combo units until I came back to KY.

But, I became very familiar with them 2 yrs ago - to the tune of $2600. And Dave Lennox didn't even come along with the crew to thank me!

That's my motto also, Fish - I hope to burn out rather than rust out!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

at least you are workin' for yourself and not for the company store....

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home