Wednesday, June 13, 2007

ASDF JKL;




My Sophomore year, in our little farming community I took a year of typing. Most guys didn't bother because that was something a secretary needed to learn, not a farmer. Since I was neither raised on a farm, nor had any intention of going into farming I took the class. We didn't have hundreds of different classes from which to choose, and I was down to a choice between Typing or Agriculture. I knew I would never need to be able to identify a Spotted Pollen China hog, nor judge which was the superior between two seemingly identical cows, but I thought some day I might like to know how to type. Boy was that a good guess.

After that one year of classes I didn't have an opportunity to touch a typewriter for more than ten years, then a friend gave me an old typewriter he'd picked up somewhere. It was a classic. A 1901 Underwood with a metal frame and no side covers (see picture). You could look at the workings from any angle, and being a manual machine it was great for venting your frustrations on paper. You could stand up, lean forward for leverage, and just beat the hell out of the keys and it went right on typing. Of course you were punching holes through the paper when you typed a period or comma, and some times there was a circle missing out of the paper where the center of the "O" should have been, but it was built durable. It's demise came not from frustrated abuse, but from rust as the result of a leaky roof in the building where it was stored.

Typing served me well when I had my own print shop and did the typesetting, was writing for some magazines, corresponded with several people around the world, and today playing on the computer. My old Underwood had been replaced with an electric typewriter, later replaced by an electronic typewriter, then the computer about ten years ago. I still can't identify a Spotted Pollen China hog, but I can type.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never could type on a typewriter very well. I remember having to take a timed typing test once for a job years ago- everyone else was typing away while I was still trying to get the paper in the paper bale. If I had to make a living typing, we would be starving to death.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

The typewriter became essential when I realized I couldn't read my own hand writing, so I've not been without some typing instrument since about '66.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

LOL, Fish! If you can't read your own handwriting you should have been a doctor. Isn't that a requirement? ;)

I learned to type on an old Underwood just like that, Fish. I swear I could type 90 words per minute on it at the age of 14 and won fastest typist award for the county I was in at the time (Nevada). I don't remember the name of the county anymore we moved so much. Computer keys take such a light touch and I typed on Selectric typewriters for so long I doubt I could type very well on an Underwood anymore because you really had to hit those keys hard to make them work.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) Geez, Fish, deja vu or sumtin' like that. It reminded me of 1962. I was a Sophmore that summer and took a summer school typing class because a young lady I was fond of was taking it.

I didn't win the girl, but like you, the typing skill came in handy later on in life.

Good post! :-)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Gayle, I'm not exactly a doctor, but I do have a PHD (post hole digger)

AGT, we never know just how valuable something will be once we've learned it. For instance I learned how to make it look like I can pull my thumb off, and have entertained countless kids with that. Valuable stuff.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I can do the old pull my thumb off trick too! Haven't done it in a long time. Thanks for reminding me of it.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

LP, I just knew you were multi-talented too.

11:20 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

When it comes to the pulling the thumb off, practice makes perfect. I got a kick on the look on kids faces as they stand there bug-eyed. Got my comeupance a few years ago with a precocious 4 year old. He observed the trick, thought a little and asked, "Now, can you remove your head?"

5:01 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

BB, Marie Antionette had that trick down, but I don't think she ever did a repeat performance.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

or a tall shanghai rooster and an old yaller dog.


I learned to type on an old remington manual with the left handed return that you reached up and plunked it back.

I remember the holes in the o's and the periods and comma's too.

I could type like the wind. Now I just pass it.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, "I could type like the wind. Now I just pass it."

You're a crack-up girl. I never could type like the wind. Maybe a slight breeze, but at least it's legible when I get finished.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home