Monday, June 11, 2007

Odds n Ends

Our youngest son was married in our back yard Sunday. It was a nice day, warm but with a good breeze much of the time. My brother the preacher performed the ceremony. It was a few friends but mostly family, and we sat around for hours on the back porch just talking and eating. We had all sorts of food and drinks. Since the actual wedding only took about fifteen minutes, it would be accurate to say we had a family pitch-in get together, and oh by the way, a wedding. I enjoyed it, and everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves too. The bride walked from the house to the site selected for the wedding with her two sons, one on each side holding her hands. They then stood up with her instead of bridesmaids. My grandson (grooms nephew) stood up with the groom. To me this was so much more pleasant than the grand, formalized weddings. There wasn't the lengthy wait for things to start, but at two thirty everyone stopped their conversations, put down their food and drink, moved from the porch to chairs set up for the occasion, the minister, groom and best man took their places, and out came the bride. The woods that wrap around the lawn was the backdrop, and to me God's own creation beats the most elaborate cathedral ever constructed by the hand of man. May God bless this new union.

A few days ago I learned there's a fellow south of town that works a yolk of oxen. The Amish will hire him to break new ground for plowing, and he takes them around to old fashioned festivals to do demonstrations. Each ox well weigh in close to a ton and according to him are more intelligent than a horse. He said his lead ox knows and responds to about 30 different word commands. I'm going to make a point of giving him a call to see when I can visit with him, or catch a demonstration. That's another little part of Americana I've never witnessed.

In October my brother and I are going to make another trip up to
Knob Creek Kentucky for the gun show and machinegun shoot. Twice a year they have quite a large event with a lot of dealers in all things relating to guns and shooting. They have a controlled "jungle" range you can go through and shoot at pop-up targets, and the centerpiece of the show is about once an hour they cut loose with the machineguns. If you own a fully automatic weapon you can shoot it there, but they have all sorts of these weapons you can pay to shoot. Put on good ear protection if you're going to shoot or watch. They even have a modern Gatling gun that fires so fast it's just a roar. They will drag old cars onto the range, 55 gallon drums, etc., and swiftly reduce them to scrap metal since there will be a dozen or more all firing at once.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

That sounds like a real wedding and the machine-gun shooting is a blast.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

enjoyed the wedding and I wasn't even THERE!!!

I would love to see the oxen. There are some bible verses about yokes and oxen that have always intrigued me

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's sounds like one fine wedding "chapel", Fish.

I passed up a chance to go to Knob Creek with the WV brother and my nephew and am I glad. They said it rained and with all those people and four wheelers it was nothing but mud, mud, and more mud. :-) Hopefully you'll have better weather.

A.G.T.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick, I've not fired the machineguns there, but I get a kick out of watching the total destruction a bunch of those will do when they're all hammering away. They use scoop shovels to pick up the bullet casings afterward.

Pamela, it was about as good as such ceremonies get. I'll report later on anything I learn about the oxen.

AGT, it is a fine chapel, and I get to live in it every day. Yeah, Knob Creek would be a mess with much rain. I've been lucky to be there when it was dry.

3:47 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

If you like shooting things and making a great deal of noise, next time you are out west try http://www.boomershoot.org/ where you can zero in on large packages of TNT, etc. It's a blast...look me up and I'll introduce you to MooseDrool Brown Ale (after the shoot, of course)....

4:50 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

BB, when kids grow up they just want bigger firecrackers don't they. That sounds like a hoot, but I'd not make that trip just to make things go boom. I'm quite happy shooting targets and cans. Now with such a charming name as "MooseDrool" I might have to come out for that...

6:49 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

"Moose Drool." LOL!

The wedding does sound like it was quite lovely. I think I would have preferred that myself, although I didn't have a Cathedral Wedding either. We were married by a Justice of the Peace. I've always thought what really counts is the marriage. I hope theirs is a great and long-lasting success!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home