Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Idle Thoughts

When I was young if they thought you were a righteous dude they said you were cool. Now they say you're hot. Is this another sign of global warming?

Whatever happened to Soap on a Rope?

I have noticed so many commercials for drugs on television these days and wondered when this became the latest thing. Then I remembered listening to the radio as a young kid and hearing commercials for Doanes Pills, Carter's little liver pills, Anacin and various other liquids, pills, liniments and ointments. I guess they've always advertised drugs over the airways.

I've never been a big beer drinker, but a cold one now and then does hit the spot. This being a dry county, a round trip to the liquor store is 130 miles more or less. Our youngest son and his fiancé were coming down from Indiana so they picked up a couple of 12 packs. My wife, daughter, son, his fiancé and I sat on the back porch that evening knocking back a couple of cold ones. It tasted real refreshing after such a warm day, and we still have 14 in the refrigerator for later. Life's little pleasures.

We've been busy around these parts of late. My son and fiancé are becoming man and wife this Sunday (June 10th) in a ceremony in our back yard, with the woods as the backdrop. My brother the preacher will be officiating, and we're having the cake and punch thing, but we're also setting out a spread for everyone. Most of those attending will just be close friends and family, so we'll eat and spend most of the day visiting. Nice of the kids to give us an excuse to get together. I've got to remember to charge the batteries on the video camera. I'm just going to set it on a tripod, focus on the area, then turn it on and forget it until after the ceremony. I hate watching home movies when they bobble around all over the place.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

This is the sort of thing that makes me come back for more. I prefer "righteous" to "hot" which sounds rude to me. Yep, there's always been snake oil salesmen selling pills and potions. I don't drink much beer either but I can't imagine a "dry" state. Enjoy your blessings, you happy man. The wedding party sounds heavenly.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

The wedding party does sound "heavenly"! Let us pray that the marriage will be heavenly also. :)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I wish I could be there... just to enjoy the ambiance.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick, Kentucky has dry counties. Each county has the right to vote yes or no on this. Of course there's no such thing as a dry county, because you're either going to have legal liquor or illegal liquor for sale. Prohibition in spots.

Thanks Gayle, yes let's pray. Both these young people have had unhappy marriages, but seem well suited to each other. Only time will tell.

Pamela, come on over. We'll set another place

5:24 AM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Dry county? .... heck, where I live we hold the record for the highest beer consumption in the country... LOL ...

Good luck and God Bless the new family...

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home