Wednesday, May 30, 2007

400 Mile Yard Sale

We live just a bit off of highway 68 and Thursday through Sunday they're having what they bill as a 400 mile yard sale. In other words, everyone so inclined, along that four hundred miles of highway 68, will load up their tables, hang clothes on lines and barter and visit with all the bargain hunting folks that salivate over the idea of thousands of yard sales end to end. We put out our sign.

Years ago before yard sales, garage sales and the like, I read about a closed neighborhood that had a recycle day once a year. They didn't let the general public in at first, but would put anything good they wanted to get rid of on the front lawn. Any resident of that neighborhood could pick up anything from a front yard free of charge. Later in the day anyone from outside the neighborhood could come in and pick up anything that was left. It struck me as a very sane system.

I have no idea just when and where the yard sale idea cropped up, though it's probably documented somewhere, but it has become an American institution and a week-end pastime for all sorts of folks. Next week we celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary, and in that 47 years we've probably had six or eight yard sales. My best guess from the hours spent in preparation, making and posting signs, pricing everything, setting it up and taking it in each day, and sitting there morning to evening, we've probably made a good 6¢ to 8¢ per hour for our labor.

Now as I'm sure you can guess, these sales have never been my idea. I'd load the stuff up and truck it to the Salvation Army store instead, but I think Mrs. Fish gets a big kick out of seeing someone just delighted to find our cast-off is their treasure, and visiting with people through the days. I know the last such sale a couple of years ago, we had a lady stop in. Her and her family had been burned out the previous week, losing everything. They were poor, renting, and didn't have renter's insurance. A bunch of the clothes were just her size and Mrs. Fish just let her take all she wanted free of charge, along with a lot of household items, games for the kids, puzzles and the like. That was a good yard sale.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

47 years. nice.
Mine won't last that long if I HAVE TO ENDURE another yard sale.

I hate it. I hate to go to them, I hate to be involved in them. I could handle the set your junk out free one, though.

The Relay for Life team is having one this weekend and I just ducked my head under the pillow when my husband volunteered to be a part of it.

7:55 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Yard sales: sort of a subculture. I know folks who tour these daily, sort of an avocation or hobby. In some areas the practice is termed
Garage Sale. Our little town has a yearly pickup for larger items we want to throw out..refridgerators, mowers, siding..stuff that has been useless for years. And every year before the city crews get there, folk come by, sort through and take
stuff. "One man's garbage..."

2:10 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, you are a fellow sufferer. We've completed the first full day. My brother brought a flatbed trailer over and his wife brought her "treasures", so we're now officially a two family yard sale. I did enjoy ignoring the whole thing and talking with my brother for quite a while.

BB, garage sales take place here too, but only if it is actually based in a garage (even if it spills into the yard). Of course most people have their garages so full of junk they have to park their car on the street, so they can't get in there for a sale either.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I also hate them and would never dream of having one. Like you, it's the Salvation Army, the local thrift shop or Goodwill. Walt and I have been married since 58 and we've not held one in all that time. The sad part is, he's a packrat. *sigh*

God bless Mrs. Fish though. That was a wonderful thing to do. :)

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only had 2 so far...but both times my husband enjoyed talking to all the weird people it lured to our yard. AND - we found out a lot of neighborhood gossip we didn't know about, which was kind of fun.

Also - one year, I made a surprise "killing" selling seeds from my Double Red Poppy which was blooming. (I had tons of seeds from the year before). I was shocked that so many people wanted them....and I hadn't intended on selling any.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home