Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Song of the South


I suppose it's politically incorrect, I don't know. I remembered seeing the Walt Disney movie "Song of the South" when I was a kid but have never seen it for sale or for rent as a video or DVD in any store. I remember enjoying the movie, I think mostly for the cartoon segments with Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, Brer Bear as narrated by Uncle Remus (Jim Baskett), but didn't remember enough about it to tell if it would be considered offensive to anyone. Song of the South is Among MSNBC's "10 Least Politically Correct Movies Ever" but I don't see it myself.

I did a little search on line a week or so ago and found I could purchase a digitally remastered DVD recording of this movie however, so I did. My wife and I watched it this evening. I found it interesting how way back in '46 the Disney studios had produced such a clever blending of real people and animation in it's creation. Jim Baskett as Uncle Remus was superb. In 1948, an honorary Academy Award for his role as Uncle Remus was bestowed upon him

"For his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world, in Walt Disney's Song of the South."

Sadly, in July of that same year, James passed away due to heart problems at age 44.

This is one of those movies I will watch every year or so though, just for the sheer entertainment of it.


11 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

I've never seen the movie. I think I'll rent it.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I still remember seeing this movie as a kid in the 70s, and my mom assures me that I was dancing in the aisles .. I haven't seen it since, but I loved it back then .. I guess through the eyes of children the world just isn't so complicated

1:05 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Like Patrick, I've never seen it either. I wonder if Net Flix will have it? If so, I will definitely rent it, Fish. Thanks for the reccommendation!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick and Gayle, I'm not sure if you can rent it. I've never found a rental place that had it available, nor a store that sold it.

Reel fanatic, maybe us adults need to uncomplicate some of our thinking so we can dance in the aisles too.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved the music waaaay back then

10:48 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Do you want to know what I think is the most politically incorrect Disney movie? Well, I'm going to tell you even if you don't want to know-

Peter Pan.

Watch it again sometime with a critical eye.

Although - this doesn't stop me from watching it and letting my children see it either. (I still enjoy it).

10:15 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, the sound track is a definate enhancement to the movie. Zippidy do dah became a hit recording way back then.

Karmyn, I've watched "Hook" but haven't seen "Peter Pan" in many years. If it's really politically incorrect I'll have to add it to my library.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to rent or buy this as well. Never seen it, and thought I had seen them all ...

7:33 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Hey there Fish, I saw this back in the real early 50's. Loved it then...and if'n I rent it...will love it again. Too bad some folks just get so sensitive bout these things. There were'nt no harm meant when it was mad and no harm should be taken....Cookie

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't find it offensive, but I could see how people would. If I were descended from slaves, my radar on the issue would definitely be more attuned- which could quite easily lead to "false positives" so to speak. Such is their right, I suppose.

I think the larger question is that of access to art, regardless of how politically incorrect and/or provocative it is. Art shouldn't be cordoned off because it offends certain people- by that measure, we wouldn't have much of any art at all. The market place assigns value to our creations- if people want to watch it, it has some merit.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Good point Yorick, it is art in the modern sense of the word. We don't want to cover over the ceilings in the Sistine Chapel simply because there are nudes portrayed there. About any art could find someone it offends.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home