Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving Holiday

We drove up to Indiana to our daughter's home for Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter conspired over the traditional bounteous spread for the occasion with both turkey and ham, candied yams, cranberry sauce and of course the first dish any Midwestern girl child learns to cook, green bean casserole. And yes there were pumpkin pies to finish off. I love those things. It's one of the few portable pies. I can wander through the dining room, slip my hand under a slice and take it with me (which I did on several occasions before we started back home Friday noon). We also brought some pumpkin pies back with us so I can pick up where I left off here at home.

Grand-daughter turns 17 Monday so she's having a party today (Saturday). My youngest son agreed to emcee the affair so came down after work Friday night. My Indiana daughter came back with us until Sunday, and the son drove down with the daughter's boyfriend. Basically we just moved the celebration from Indiana to Kentucky. The high today is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny so they're going to have a wiener roast to start the party. I will join in that but then retire to my home to stay out of the chaos of multiple teen-agers all in one small space. About the only preparation I need to do is drag out the lawn tractor, hook up the trailer and cart the logs from the edge of the woods to the firepit, then light it off. This is an important event for the grand-daughter. It's her first social affair since moving here and she's been nervous about it. I told her to just relax and enjoy herself. They will like her just fine for who she really is.


I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats exactly what I was talking about at work. The pie HAS to be either pumpking or Sour Cream Raison... and you just pick it up and walk away. No plate needed.

What a lucky 17 year old to have a grandpa to help with her party.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She got a darned good present from Mother Nature - 70 degrees in late November in Kentucky?! :-)

We had a nice Thanksgiving and sounds like you did also. However, I'm partial to pecan, but then again, you're correct in that you can't "sneak" it like pun'kin.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

70F? That is amazing. Sounds like you're having a great family weekend.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

That is the best thing about those kind of pies - because you can slip away with one and nobody notices. No dirty plate as evidence!!!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Pamela, two great minds...

AGT it's been spectacular weather for the end of November here. Aren't you getting about the same over your way? I like pecan too, and coconut cream, butterscotch, cherry, chocolate, peach, apple and...

Patrick, it's been great so far and will wrap up today.

Karmyn you are so right. You can even act outraged that someone took that last piece of pie.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Cookie..... said...

Most glad yur enjoyin yurself mate...most glad. Continue to have a great Thanksgiving weekend....

7:49 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I'm glad you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Fish.

What you are teaching your granddaughter is great! Young girls try way too hard pretending to be someone they aren't in order to fit in and be popular, when they would do so much better just being who they really are.

Blessings! :)

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shared in your warm weather in the State next to you. It was amazing, and a real blast. I'm sceduled to come threw your state in the next couple of years, and will let you know when I get a fixed time frame.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home