Monday, November 06, 2006

Things to do


Let's see, what was it I was supposed to do tomorrow? Oh yeah, go vote. We're about 3-4 miles from the polling place, a community building in the park at Sulphur Wells. There really is a sulphur well there and at one time there was a health resort built around it. Most of the buildings have burned or collapsed since then and the grounds along the creek were converted into a town park. Our last time to vote we had no delay at all being the only voters there at the time. It was the primaries and the ladies manning the polling place were very cordial when we came in until we told them we were Republicans - a bit of a frost settled over their countenance. We have quite a few of the older people around this area whose families have been voting straight Democrat since the Great Society, and will continue to vote FDR's party to their dying day.

The first presidential election I exercised my right to vote was 1960. I voted for Kennedy but he lost the election if you just counted the popular vote. He became our president because he won the electoral vote. The electoral vote seems to be an item of discussion around these parts. It amazes me how many people want to get rid of that. I could understand their desire if they were living in one of the populous cities or areas of the country, but living here and wanting to dump the electoral vote only tells me they have no understanding of the importance of that system at all. Dump the electoral vote and you basically get rid of any real representation of all the "fly over" states. There would be little or no reason for national candidates to even campaign here since the big cities and most populous areas would decide who wins and who loses. I wonder what would become of "federal" money to maintain the infrastructure of these less populated areas? I think the attitude in Washington would quickly become "Who cares, your vote don't count". We would have to change the Pledge of Allegiance - "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the democracy for which it stands...."

6 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Absolutely right, Fish! I see the same thing here: Older folks who don't have computers, don't watch anything but the MSM because they don't have cable, and will vote Democrat even while bitching about issues the Democrats are responsible for! It honestly keeps me awake nights. I've argued until I am blue in the face. "But my mother was a Democrat" one oldy says. I asked: "What was your father?" "He was a Repubican. I didn't like my father." *sigh* So she'll vote Dem out of loyalty to her mother. I asked her "What about loyalty to this country?" Answer: "My vote doesn't matter. I only vote anyway out of respect for my mother."

Darn! I want to tie her up to keep her from voting. I wonder how many of those asshats are out there?

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh your so right... we get the "Who cares, your vote don't count" all the time, and that's our systems failure. Ours is strictly rep by pop, and all the population is out east. It's slowly changing, but will probably take another century before we make a dent. That's why our country is so divided.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Personally, I don't think you should vote Republican or Democrat - I think your vote should be for the person who you think will do the best job in representing the people!

We have vote-by-mail here in Oregon - I love it. But sometimes, I think that we miss the charm of going to the poll and pulling the switch.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the party left them..... and they don't even know it.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frosty contenance. Same exact thing happened to me here in northeast KY about 4 years ago first time I went to vote when moving back from OH. :-)

The unions are (or were) big around here for years in railroading, steel making, and coal mining and they vote Democrat. That tradition lives on here even with the decline of the union.

Good post, BTW!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Bridgeport Energy Audit said...

Intereesting thoughts

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home