Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Old Kentucky Home


My paternal grandmother was born and raised in Kentucky. For all the years I was growing up in Indiana she subscribed to the newspaper from her home town in Kentucky, and she always got a bit misty eyed when she heard the song "My Old Kentucky Home". In early April my wife and I along with our daughter and granddaughter, decided to have a fun day. We drove up to Mount Vernon Kentucky to the railroad museum spending a few hours there, then on up to Bardstown for a late lunch. While there we took the tour of the home that was the inspiration for Steven Collin Foster's song. He was a cousin to the Rowan family that had built and lived in this particular home, and he wrote that song while staying with them for a while. The state eventually bought the home, and made "My Old Kentucky Home" the state song. It's an impressive house and property, but the rooms didn't have closets, there was no bathroom in the house, they heated with fireplaces, had no electricity. It may appear grand, but I much prefer today's life style.

3 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Lovely! But I can't agree with you more.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

You can't fool me, Fish. That's a picture of Tara from Gone With the Wind. The trees have been photoshopped out!

I'm just kidding. It's very pretty but you're right. The house would need a lot of renovating to make it comfortable. There weren't any closets in our house before we renovated it, but at least it had indoor plumbing, of a sort. It all had to be replaced and the itsy-bitsy bathroom completely torn out and made larger. Now if we were as tough as our ancestors we'd wash our clothes in the creek regardless of the water mocassins, pump our water from the well, and use an outhouse. My grandparents did that in Idaho and I'll never forget those cold trips to the outhouse in the snow in the middle of the night. Brrrrr!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Gayle, I remember well the outhouse and carrying water from when I was a kid. Fortunately dad had installed water, a septic system, hot water heater, tub, etc. by the time I was ten or so. The good old days sure weren't.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home