Wednesday, December 13, 2006


In April of 1892 Jesse James and gang held up the bank in Columbia Kentucky. There are varying accounts of the outcome; some stories say he got nothing, others say he made off with $600. One account says $6,000 but I think that was an error. In the robbery they shot and killed an unarmed teller, and according to some accounts one of the gang members was shot and killed. At any rate they ran from Columbia and held up for a few days in this log cabin which is about 3 miles from my home. Behind the cabin there's a sink hole where they tied their horses so they wouldn't be seen. I've never been able to learn if there was anyone living in the cabin at the time, but it's been variously occupied and empty every since. At some point in time someone has painted it barn red and though it was occupied last year, I haven't seen any signs of life there for a while.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

Is anyone living there now? With a bit of work it could be cute.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Patrick, I don't think it's currently occupied - at least I've not seen a vehicle or person around it for a few months. I agree with you. If someone is into luxury and all the amenities it wouldn't do, but to those of us that like the rustic it could be a great place.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Makes me wonder WHY no one is living there....is Jesse still hanging around, perhaps? hee hee

11:30 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Hi Fish. I see from the last comment your picking up Robot comments. This won't happen if you'll go into blogger and turn off anonymous comments.

Regarding your post, that is a very historical building. It seems strange to me the county doesn't recognize it as such. Okay, James was a bad guy, but still, history is history.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool ... why isn't it a museum or something? .. with a little work, it would probably be a big attraction.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home