Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Dog


Last Sunday a dog showed up at home and refused to leave. He has a collar so I called all the neighbors, put the information on the radio, called the pound and the vet to see if anyone had lost such a dog. He appears to be a Treeing Walker Coonhound and is one of the nicest dogs I've ever seen. Loves attention and would like you to pet him until you wore his hair off. He looked starved, ribs showing, but I didn't want him to stay so didn't feed him, just gave him some water. With my wife's alergies we can't have pets, but the next morning he was laying on the back porch right up against the door. During the next few days he would be gone for a while, but then he'd be back on the back porch. I started feeding him all he would eat. All he would eat was a whole lot of food. I gave him dry dog and cat foods, canned foods, table scraps, even some stale peanut butter crackers. He ate it all. Today the animal warden came and took him to an adoption shelter that is really good with animals, an all volunteer place. He won't be there long enough to get comfortable. Around here people love coonhounds, pay hundreds of dollars, even thousands for them. All they have to do is pay $40 to adopt this one so you know he won't be there long. I wish I could have kept him. About as nice a dog as I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

He's a beautiful hound.

We solved the allergy problem by enclosing the back porch for the dogs. No dog hair in the house and they have their own "bedroom" to stink up and slobber in.

I hope he gets a good home. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

PS He's the feature of my daily dog blog post.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Yes Patrick, he was a great looking dog. The angle of the picture makes his legs look shorter than they are. Very long and strong legs. Funny how much I became attached to him in just four days.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

A beautiful dog. You've got some backbone. I write a blog for the class of 1957. Stop by and set a spell. mmhs1957.blogspot.com

5:22 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Hey Fish, I got a tree walker coonhound the exact same way! They take them out hunting and then just leave them. My coonhound is the coolest, funnest dog I have (and I have three others). Every morning she runs outside top speed with her nose to the ground and sounds off about what creatures have been in the yard the night before. Plus she loves bluegrass music. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1UCHBb41M

6:32 AM  
Anonymous A.G.T. said...

Gee, Fish, the only dogs that have showed up at our back door were all mutts. I guess they have a higher class of strays over there in the western part of the Commonwealth.

My wife always chases them off by throwing biscuits at 'em. I suppose that accounts for the two that are still here after 5-6 yrs now.

Actually, good on ya' Fish for feeding it and finding a good place for it until it's adopted.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

AW! I'm glad the nice dog will be taken care of but saddened that you couldn't keep him, Fish. I'd be willing to bet he missed you too.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home